The Earth has 149,440,850 square kilometers of emerged areas (which are not covered by water), which corresponds to about 29.1% of the planet’s total surface, the so-called continents.
What are “continents”?
The continents are the great extensions of land that shelter different forms of life, being surrounded and separated by the oceans.
Approximately 400 million years ago, the earths emerged from the planet were united in only one continent, called “Pangeia”. Due to the movement of plate tectonics, this single immense continent fragmented approximately 60 million years ago, giving rise to the current six continents.
Are we going to get to know each of these six continents better?
View Articles by Continent
Six Continents of the Earth
The six continents of the Earth are:
Asia – The largest continent on Earth and the one with the largest population on the planet. It has a total area of almost 45 million km² and it is estimated that the current population is 3.6 billion people. On the Asian continent we find the highest point in the world: Mount Everest, with 8,848 meters high. Among the countries that make up Asia, we can mention: most of Russia, Saudi Arabia, China and India.
List of countries in Asia:
America – With a total area of 42 million km², it is the second largest continent in the world. It is generally divided into North America, Central America and South America; or, still, in Anglo-Saxon America and Latin America. Among the countries that are part of America, we can mention: in North America, the United States; in Central America, Haiti and Cuba; in South America, Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay.
List of countries in America, including North America and South America:
Africa – With a territorial extension of more than 30 billion km² and an estimated population of 1.2 billion inhabitants, Africa is one of the continents that have the largest number of ethnic groups on the planet. Among the 54 countries that make up the African continent, we can mention: South Africa, Egypt, Mozambique.
List of countries in Africa:
Antarctica – The fourth largest continent in the world, with a territorial area of approximately 14 million km², also being called “South Pole”. The area of this continent is divided between several countries in the world, which carry out scientific studies there. The Antarctic continent is formed not only by ice, but also by an extensive amount of land. The famous penguins live there.
Europe – With a territorial extension of just over 10 million km² and a population of approximately 800 million inhabitants, Europe is the second smallest continent in the world, being only bigger than Oceania. The European continent has exercised great influence throughout the world, expanding its economic, social, political and cultural values. Among the 49 countries that are part of Europe, we can mention England, Germany, Spain and Portugal.
List of countries in Europe:
Oceania – Smallest continent on the planet, Oceania is called “brand new world” by Europeans, as it was the last region to be colonized by them. It consists of 14 countries and 14 areas dominated by other countries, including islands and archipelagos. Among the countries that are part of Oceania, we can mention: Australia, New Zealand and Tahiti.
List of countries in Oceania:
According to Countryaah, Middle East is not a continent, but a part of Asia. Three world religions originate in the Middle East.
Both Judaism and Christianity have their roots in Jerusalem, while the youngest world religion is Islam, originating from Mecca and Medina in Saudi Arabia. In today’s Middle East, Islam has the most followers of the three religions. However, there is a Christian minority throughout the region, while Judaism is concentrated in Israel.
Area: 5,200,000 km²
Population: 232 million
Largest countries by population
- Iran – 82 million
- Iraq – 38 million
- Saudi Arabia – 28 million
- Yemen – 27 million
- Syria – 17 million
Geography of the Middle East
In the Middle East, there is a strong contrast between the relatively small cultivable areas and the vast desert areas. The population is then concentrated to places where there is water: coasts, river valleys and precipitous mountain slopes. The ecological conditions have given rise to three forms of life: agriculture, urban industries and nomadic livestock management, which, however, have been economically and culturally well integrated with each other.
The countries that belong to the Middle East are not clearly defined, but the term traditionally covers the southwestern part of the Asian continent and sometimes includes some North African countries. According to Trackaah, the Middle East is rather a political and cultural term, rather than a geographical one. Islam is the main religion in most countries and forms a unifying cultural entity throughout the region. Another common feature is the significant oil finds that have contributed to the sudden wealth of rain-poor desert states such as Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Peace and war in the Middle East
Since the Second World War, the Middle East has been mainly mentioned in the media for the region’s many wars and conflicts. The region is one of the world’s absolute focal points and several initiatives have been taken to create peace. Among other things, the “Roadmap for Peace” has been started as an attempt to bring rivals Israel and Palestine closer together. However, most peace-building initiatives have so far ended as yet another proof that it is infinitely difficult to create lasting peace between the region’s various countries and population groups.
Attractions in the Middle East
A trip to the Middle East involves sunsets in endless desert landscapes, beautiful beaches and biblical sites that touch. The metropolis of Dubai, the capital of one of the sheikhs in the United Arab Emirates, is packed with almost unreal construction projects. In just a few years, the city has been transformed from an almost insignificant trading station to an extravagant jetset city and one prestige building after another is now popping up between the shopping centers.
Israel is more ancient than today. The present can be found in Jerusalem’s new neighborhood and among the myriad of restaurants and nightclubs in Tel Aviv. In Iran, you can be overwhelmed by the magnificent ruins of the even more magnificent capital of ancient Persian Empire or by the abundance of beautiful blue mosaics in Isfahan. A long-kept secret, and that’s where the movie hero Indiana Jones found “the holy grail.” The city was built by the Nabataeans, an Arab people who became rich in caravan trading a few hundred years around the birth of Christ. But what happened to them then is a mystery. In the 500s, new caravan roads began to be used and the Nabateans made no more fuss in history. Petra was abandoned and fell into oblivion.
The 50 countries with the least arable land in the world
|Rank||Country||Agricultural acreage (%)|
|1||Western Sahara (Africa)||0.02|
|4||French Guiana (South America)||0.17|
|7||Suriname (South America)||0.42|
|8||New Caledonia (Australia-Oceania)||0.51|
|11||Bahamas (North America)||0.84|
|16||Saudi Arabia (Asia)||1.76|
|19||Papua New Guinea (Australia-Oceania)||1.89|
|22||Faroe Islands (Europe)||2.14|
|23||Turks and Caicos Islands (North America)||2.33|
|24||Guyana (South America)||2.35|
|26||Solomon Islands (Australia-Oceania)||2.66|
|29||Peru (South America)||2.83|
|32||Brunei Darussalam (Asia)||3.04|
|33||Chile (South America)||3.04|
|34||Bolivia (South America)||3.08|
|35||United Arab Emirates (Asia)||3.14|
|37||Central African Republic (Africa)||3.26|
|38||Democratic Republic of the Congo (Africa)||3.28|
|39||Colombia (South America)||3.32|
|42||Venezuela (South America)||3.69|
|44||Cayman Islands (North America)||3.85|
|46||Belize (North America)||4.41|
|50||Canada (North America)||5.28|
|Area for agricultural production.|
- Memphis, Michigan March 24, 2023 - According to campingship, Memphis, Michigan is a small city located in Macomb County. It is about 30 miles northeast of Detroit and has a population of around 4,000 people. The climate in Memphis is typical… Continue Reading
- Travel to Austria March 17, 2023 - According to clothesbliss.com, Austria is a beautiful country located in the heart of Europe. It is bordered by Germany, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Italy, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. Austria is known for its picturesque… Continue Reading
- Saint Regis, Montana March 12, 2023 - Saint Regis is located in the extreme northwest corner of Montana, on the border with Idaho. The population of Saint Regis as of 2018 was 811 people. The geography of Saint Regis is characterized by… Continue Reading
- Lame Deer, Montana March 11, 2023 - Lame Deer, Montana is located in the Northern Plains region of the United States and has a population of around 2,000 people. The geography of the area is largely flat, with rolling hills and scattered… Continue Reading
- Alanson, Michigan February 24, 2023 - According to fashionissupreme, Alanson, Michigan is a small village located in the northwest corner of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. It is situated on the banks of the Crooked River and is a popular destination… Continue Reading
- Akron, Michigan February 17, 2023 - According to ezinesports, Akron is a small village in Mid-Michigan located in Tuscola County. It is about 10 miles east of Caro, the county seat. Originally called Akronville, it was founded in 1872 and incorporated… Continue Reading
- How to Get to Monaco February 10, 2023 - Visa and customs Since there is no representation of Monaco in Russia, documents for a visa of this country are submitted to the French Visa Application Centers. In addition, it is mandatory to take out… Continue Reading
- How to Get to Cambodia February 3, 2023 - There are no direct flights to Cambodia from Russia. Flights from Moscow are operated by Vietnam Airlines via Ho Chi Minh City, Thai Airlines and Aeroflot via Bangkok. Flight duration is about 10.5 hours, excluding… Continue Reading
- Damascus, Syria December 30, 2022 - Damascus is one of the most ancient cities in the world and the oldest of the existing capitals of the planet. Its past is directly related to many chapters in the Bible: according to legend,… Continue Reading
- How to Get to Botswana December 23, 2022 - There are no direct flights to Botswana from Russia, Ukraine and Belarus. You can fly there directly from Europe on a regular flight of British Airways, or you can get from South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe… Continue Reading