Saint Regis is located in the extreme northwest corner of Montana, on the border with Idaho. The population of Saint Regis as of 2018 was 811 people. The geography of Saint Regis is characterized by high mountain peaks and rolling hills, with plenty of lakes, rivers, and streams nearby. The climate is generally semi-arid, with hot summers and cold winters.
The history of Saint Regis is closely tied to the Native American tribes that have lived in the area for centuries. In 1855, a Jesuit mission was established at Saint Regis, which provided education and other services to the Native American population in the area. In 1892, a post office was opened in Saint Regis; this marked an important step forward for the settlement. In recent decades, economic growth has been driven largely by tourism and recreation activities such as hunting and fishing.
The politics in Saint Regis are dominated by a conservative majority that typically votes Republican in national elections. However, local issues such as environmental protection have been known to draw support from both parties.
Saint Regis has two schools: one elementary school and one high school. Both schools are part of the Mineral County School District and offer students a quality education that prepares them for college or technical career paths after graduation.
There are several landmarks around Saint Regis that draw visitors from all over Montana each year. These include St Mary’s Mission Church (built in 1885), Chief Victor’s Monument (a memorial to Chief Victor), and Chief Victor’s Cabin (a historic cabin built in 1880). Additionally, there are numerous outdoor recreation areas nearby including Lolo National Forest and Coeur d’Alene National Forest which offer hiking trails, camping sites, fishing spots, wildlife viewing opportunities and more!
Males: 163 (51.7%), Females: 152 (48.3%)
Zip code: 59866
Median resident age: 39.2 years
Median household income: $23,750
Median house value: $73,000
Races in St. Regis:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.7%)
- American Indian (3.2%)
- Hispanic (2.5%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
Ancestries: German (11.7%), Irish (9.8%), English (6.7%), United States (5.4%), Norwegian (3.8%), Swedish (3.5%).
Elevation: 2593 feet
Land area: 0.8 square miles
Saint Regis, Montana is a small town located in the western part of the state. It has a population of approximately 500 people, with most of them being employed in either the lumber or mining industries. The cost of living in Saint Regis is relatively low compared to other parts of the state. Housing costs are especially affordable, with an average home costing between $100,000 and $150,000. Utilities are also fairly inexpensive, with monthly bills averaging around $100 for electricity and water combined. Groceries tend to be slightly more expensive than in other parts of Montana due to the town’s remote location and limited access to larger supermarkets. However, residents can still find reasonably priced food items at smaller local stores. Healthcare services are also available within the town at relatively low costs. The overall cost of living in Saint Regis is quite reasonable when compared to other towns in Montana and across the country.
For population 25 years and over in St. Regis
- High school or higher: 73.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 4.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.6%
- Unemployed: 10.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in St. Regis CDP
- Never married: 14.8%
- Now married: 57.8%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 8.3%
- Divorced: 17.0%
1.9% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near St. Regis:
- MINERAL COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; SUPERIOR, MT)
- MINERAL COMMUNITY HOSPITAL – CAH (about 22 miles; SUPERIOR, MT)
- CLARK FORK VALLEY HOSPITAL – CAH (about 23 miles; PLAINS, MT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to St. Regis:
- MISSOULA INTERNATIONAL (about 76 miles; MISSOULA, MT; Abbreviation: MSO)
- GLACIER PARK INTL (about 91 miles; KALISPELL, MT; Abbreviation: FCA)
- COEUR D’ALENE AIR TERM (about 123 miles; COEUR D’ALENE, ID; Abbreviation: COE)
Other public-use airports nearest to St. Regis:
- PLAINS (about 18 miles; PLAINS, MT; Abbreviation: S34)
- MINERAL COUNTY (about 20 miles; SUPERIOR, MT; Abbreviation: 9S4)
- THOMPSON FALLS (about 23 miles; THOMPSON FALLS, MT; Abbreviation: THM)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of Montana graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to St. Regis:
- THE UNIVERSITY OF MONTANA-MISSOULA (about 74 miles; MISSOULA, MT; Full-time enrollment: 11,112)
- UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO (about 115 miles; MOSCOW, ID; Full-time enrollment: 9,823)
- NORTH IDAHO COLLEGE (about 119 miles; COEUR D’ALENE, ID; Full-time enrollment: 2,988)
- LEWIS-CLARK STATE COLLEGE (about 145 miles; LEWISTON, ID; Full-time enrollment: 2,213)
- SPOKANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 158 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 5,564)
- GONZAGA UNIVERSITY (about 164 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,860)
- SPOKANE FALLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 168 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 6,284)