According to Weddinginfashion, Streetman is a small city located in Freestone County, Texas. The city is situated in the rolling hills of East Texas and is surrounded by lush forests and open fields. The climate in Streetman is typically warm and humid with temperatures reaching into the mid-90s during the summer months. Winters are mild with temperatures rarely dropping below freezing.
The history of Streetman dates back to the late 19th century when it was founded as a small farming community. It has since grown into a thriving city with a population of about 1,200 people. The city has strong ties to its agricultural roots and continues to be an important part of the local economy.
Politics in Streetman are largely dominated by conservative values, with most residents being registered Republicans. There are also several local organizations that promote civic engagement and encourage participation in local government activities.
The economy of Streetman is largely based on agriculture, with many local businesses relying on the production of cotton, grains, and other crops for their livelihoods. The area also benefits from tourism due to its proximity to Lake Mexia and other outdoor attractions. There are also several large employers located nearby such as Navarro Regional Hospital and Freestone County Community College that provide jobs for locals.
Education in Streetman is provided by the Freestone Independent School District which includes two elementary schools, one middle school, one high school, and a technical college campus. There are also several private schools located nearby that offer additional educational opportunities for students of all ages.
There are several notable landmarks located within or near Streetman such as the historic Freestone County Courthouse which was built in 1883 and is still used today for official county business; Lake Mexia which provides recreational opportunities throughout the year; Wildwood Park which offers camping facilities; and Cedar Creek Reservoir which serves as an important water source for much of East Texas.
Population: 203. Estimated population in July 2020: 209 (+3.0% change)
Males: 98 (48.3%), Females: 105 (51.7%)
Zip code: 75859
Median resident age: 46.8 years
Median household income: $19,531
Median house value: $27,900
Races in Streetman:
- White Non-Hispanic (80.8%)
- Black (14.8%)
- Hispanic (4.4%)
- Other race (1.0%)
Ancestries: English (9.4%), United States (7.9%), Irish (6.4%), Scottish (5.9%), German (4.9%), Dutch (2.0%).
Elevation: 368 feet
Land area: 0.5 square miles
Streetman, Texas is a small unincorporated community located in Freestone County. As of the 2010 census, the population was estimated to be around 600 people. The majority of the population is composed of Caucasian Americans (90%), followed by African Americans (4%), Hispanic or Latino (3%) and other races making up the remaining 3%. The median household income for Streetman, TX is $37,000 which is lower than the national average. Most residents are employed in local industries such as farming, ranching, and oil production. The town has a small public school system that serves students from kindergarten through 12th grade. There are a few churches in town as well as a post office and several small businesses such as convenience stores and restaurants. Streetman also boasts several parks with playgrounds and walking trails for residents to enjoy. There are also many outdoor activities available in the area such as fishing, hunting, and camping on nearby lakes and rivers. Streetman is an ideal place to live for those looking for a rural lifestyle with access to all the amenities of city life nearby.
For population 25 years and over in Streetman
- High school or higher: 76.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 5.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 5.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Streetman town
- Never married: 13.5%
- Now married: 54.4%
- Separated: 5.3%
- Widowed: 13.5%
- Divorced: 13.5%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -57 (-21.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Streetman:
- NAVARRO REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; CORSICANA, TX)
- EAST TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER – FAIRFIELD (about 17 miles; FAIRFIELD, TX)
- PARKVIEW REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; MEXIA, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Streetman:
- WACO REGIONAL (about 65 miles; WACO, TX; Abbreviation: ACT)
- TYLER POUNDS RGNL (about 72 miles; TYLER, TX; Abbreviation: TYR)
- DALLAS LOVE FIELD (about 76 miles; DALLAS, TX; Abbreviation: DAL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Streetman:
- C DAVID CAMPBELL FIELD-CORSICANA MUNI (about 11 miles; CORSICANA, TX; Abbreviation: CRS)
- TEAGUE MUNI (about 16 miles; TEAGUE, TX; Abbreviation: 68F)
- MEXIA-LIMESTONE CO (about 21 miles; MEXIA, TX; Abbreviation: LXY)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Streetman:
- NAVARRO COLLEGE (about 17 miles; CORSICANA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,842)
- TRINITY VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 40 miles; ATHENS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,858)
- TEXAS STATE TECHNICAL COLLEGE-WACO (about 56 miles; WACO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,218)
- BAYLOR UNIVERSITY (about 60 miles; WACO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 13,183)
- MCLENNAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 63 miles; WACO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,658)
- EASTFIELD COLLEGE (about 69 miles; MESQUITE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,457)
- SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY (about 69 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 8,231)